• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Our baby was forced to medical examination we never asked for, and got a huge bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LdiJ

My information is not outdated at all.

Many companies have international operations and, for this reason, it can be hard to escape some types of debts, regardless of where the debt is incurred.

However, medical debts do not fall into this category.
I hope that the OP does not assume that you are providing accurate information, because down the road it could cause the OP serious problems. This is one of those times where you are being seriously irresponsible, insisting on your opinion.

I am not guaranteeing that collections will come after the OP for this medical debt. I am saying that based on current global standards that its possible that it could happen'

quincy

Yes. Anything is possible.

And paying your debts will always be the most responsible thing to do.

That said, NOTHING that I have said is inaccurate and NOTHING that I have said could be considered "irresponsible." Please reread my posts and try to understand the words.

I am happy that your Italian ex-niece did not wind up having to pay her appendectomy debts from her US surgery 18 years ago.

LdiJ

Yes. Anything is possible.

And paying your debts will always be the most responsible thing to do.

That said, NOTHING that I have said is inaccurate and NOTHING that I have said could be considered "irresponsible." Please reread my posts and try to understand the words.

I am happy that your Italian ex-niece did not wind up having to pay her appendectomy debts from her US surgery 18 years ago.
Your posts indicated that it was highly unlikely that the debt would follow the OP's wife outside of the US. I indicated that it was not outside of reality in this day and age that it would. I acknowledged that some time in the past it might not have followed the parties outside of the US but that times had changed.

You are not doing the OP any justice by insisting that the debt won't follow his wife.

quincy

Your posts indicated that it was highly unlikely that the debt would follow the OP's wife outside of the US. I indicated that it was not outside of reality in this day and age that it would. I acknowledged that some time in the past it might not have followed the parties outside of the US but that times had changed.

You are not doing the OP any justice by insisting that the debt won't follow his wife.
Please read Taxing Matter's post #21 where he says collection overseas would be "unlikely." Please read PayrollHRGuy's post #22 where he says the chance of overseas collection is "close to zero."

I will AGAIN say that a creditor pursuing a resident of Europe overseas over a medical debt of $6000 is unlikely.

You might want to work on your reading comprehension, LdiJ.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Please read Taxing Matter's post #21 where he says collection overseas would be "unlikely." Please read PayrollHRGuy's post #22 where he says the chance of overseas collection is "close to zero."

I will AGAIN say that a creditor pursuing a resident of Europe overseas over a medical debt of $6000 is unlikely. I have said nothing different.

You might want to work on reading comprehension.
20 years ago it would have been almost a moot point. 10 years ago it would have been highly unlikely. Now, it is neither. I am sorry but that is just the reality of today's global market. It is irresponsible to allow the OP to believe that the debt will not be pursued outside of the US. It might not be, but the possibility that it will is not to be ignored.

quincy

20 years ago it would have been almost a moot point. 10 years ago it would have been highly unlikely. Now, it is neither. I am sorry but that is just the reality of today's global market. It is irresponsible to allow the OP to believe that the debt will not be pursued outside of the US. It might not be, but the possibility that it will is not to be ignored.
Oh for heavens sake, LdiJ. Do you not know the meaning of the word "unlikely?"

Are you saying a US medical debt of $6000 is "likely" to be pursued overseas?

LdiJ

Oh for heavens sake, LdiJ. Do you not know the meaning of the word "unlikely?"

Are you saying a US medical debt of $6000 is "likely" to be pursued overseas?
I am saying that its not safe to say either way. The global collections market is not the same as it was even 10 years ago and you are irresponsible to say otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">