• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

our barking dogs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

preggers

What is the name of your state?

texas :mad: Our neighbor has complained about our 2 dogs barking in the morning (he keeps odd hours-his BR (right by our back door) light is on until 3 or 4 am, often with the TV blaring). He even went so far as to call the cops (they were apologetic about bothering me, but said they had to come over to satisfy him). As the policeman said "dogs bark, that's what they do".

He is threatening lawsuit. Our city ordinance says "excessive barking" is a no-no, but I interpret THAT as being a dog that is left outside to bark for a time period, not to be a 5 minute time frame during which they might bark at a noise. (Usually the dog across the street which ALWAYS barks.)

I hope there is some time frame when noise IS unacceptable (like between 11 pm and 7 am), and some time frame when its acceptable.

The lawnmowing guys often start at 7 am, ours, the other neighbors, and the common areas. And, until recently, building has commenced early. (All the lots are filled in now)

We have lived here for 4 years (them 2).

They say it's an "ongoing problem", but after 2+ years, do they have a leg to stand on?

HomeGuru

preggers said:
What is the name of your state?

texas :mad: Our neighbor has complained about our 2 dogs barking in the morning (he keeps odd hours-his BR (right by our back door) light is on until 3 or 4 am, often with the TV blaring). He even went so far as to call the cops (they were apologetic about bothering me, but said they had to come over to satisfy him). As the policeman said "dogs bark, that's what they do".

He is threatening lawsuit. Our city ordinance says "excessive barking" is a no-no, but I interpret THAT as being a dog that is left outside to bark for a time period, not to be a 5 minute time frame during which they might bark at a noise. (Usually the dog across the street which ALWAYS barks.)

I hope there is some time frame when noise IS unacceptable (like between 11 pm and 7 am), and some time frame when its acceptable.

The lawnmowing guys often start at 7 am, ours, the other neighbors, and the common areas. And, until recently, building has commenced early. (All the lots are filled in now)

We have lived here for 4 years (them 2).

They say it's an "ongoing problem", but after 2+ years, do they have a leg to stand on?
**A: yes, read the barking dog ordinance.

nextwife

Are the dogs barking outside, or from inside your house?

If my dog starts barking too much while he's out, I bring him in the house, and get him to a part of the house where he'll settle down and stop barking. If your dogs are outside yapping, have you simply tried bringing them INSIDE so their barking is not right next to the neighbors and the sound is more muffled to those not inside your home? Certainly dogs bark, but nobody in my neighborhood would consider allowing their dogs to continue barking outside! If a pooch gets noisy, they haul them indoors and keep them there.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">