• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of court settlement letter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

etch_etch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hello, one drunken night I punched a guy's truck. I am at fault no question. He called me later with an estimate with rental included totaling $1600.

We agreed to meet in person. What type of letter should I draft up to protect me from getting charged later for criminal mischief from this same guy. Should I cut him a personal check or money order?

ecmst12

It's not up to that guy whether criminal charges will be fired. It would be up to the DA. You could write up a release stating that the amount you are paying him represents payment in full for the damage incurred at (time and place). Have him sign it in the presence of a notary, then give him the money - cash, check, money order, whatever you want. A check will obviously be the easiest way for you to prove payment if he tries to sue you later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">