• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of state collections.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Indiana
I have a business that requires me to travel everywhere in the country to do the work. I have been doing work for a company in cook county, IL for the past six months, however the past two months they have not been paying their balance due ($7800). I have called repeatedly and all they will say is we don't have the money, we'll get you some as we can. I know that others have recieved money that was owed (not full payment either) but more than I was paid. They still have money to operate on plus they hired in a temporary receptionist since I have been requesting payment. They finally sent a check for $2500 which does not even start to cover my bills. My family and I are barely making an existance, I tied up all my savings in doing these jobs for them only to get shafted in the end. Since this started my telephone has been turned off, and I cannot even get calls for other work that people may need, the phone company is no to collection and I am about to loose all other utilities. What can I do to collect my money from these people?



You would have to sue them in Illinois to get your money; however, sometimes if you get a lawyer to write a letter for you that could work. If you do sue them in Illinois, the Small Claims court has limit of $5,000. If the balance is still $7,800 you would lose the $2,300; however, if they now owe you $5,300 you would lose only $300. Here is a link to a site which has infor on the Illinois Small Claims Court: http://ag.state.il.us/consumer/smlclaims.htm


Thank You for your reply, However there is a new twist. The check that was issued for $2500 bounced. So now I am back up to the grand total of $8012.00 I talked to the Prosecuting Attorney(after sending certified/return receipt letters giving ten days) about the returned check and was informed that since it was part of the full amount they could not pursue the collection. And yesterday I found out the business owner is filing bankruptcy. Since I have not yet been able to file against them will I have any chance of collecting in this matter. The certified letters were sent and received prior to his filing.


Senior Member
Find an attorney that will do the first consultation free and see if he help. All of this is prepetition and you can file a claim on it but if you are lucky get 1 to 20% years from now. Depending on what kind of work you have done you may be able to file a priority claim or file against property. There are alot of ifs right now that are depedant on what the work was. The best thing is to see an attorney near you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential