• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of State Insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
I am 17 years old, obviously still living in Ohio with my parents. I completely purchased a Toyota Camry that is currently in my mother's name (since I'm not 18 yet, I can't have the title to a car in my name). My parents currently pay for my car insurance on their policy.

Here's my issue: I plan to move to Texas next year and live alone in an apartment, while my parents are staying here in Ohio. My parents currently pay only about 100ish/month for my insurance, however I got a quote that it would cost about $300ish/month to switch to my own policy. That is extremely expensive for me. I was wondering if there was any way I could keep my car insured on my parents policy? I do not know the law on insuring a car that is out of state. Will this be no problem? Or will I have to keep it in my mother's name and get Ohio plates every year? I am very curious on what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Senior Member
either the car stays in moms name or you insure it on your own. Even if it stays in moms name, you are risking problems since it is obviously a scam to avoid paying the proper insurance.

Time to grow up and pay your way. Welcome to the real world.


Senior Member
Will you be going to school in TX? If so there is no problem with mom insuring the car. She should however report to the insurance company where the car will be located.


Senior Member
It's always more expensive to have a car on a policy by itself then to have it on a family policy with other cars. It is also expensive to insure a car for a teenage driver. Statistically, they have a lot of accidents. Insurance for you is going to be expensive. But if you are not living in your parent's household, you can't be on your insurance, unless you are a student and maintaining a permanent residency with your parents.

If the car will still have mom's name on the title, make sure she is listed as an insured person on your insurance plan, since the owner as well as the driver could be sued if there is an accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential