• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

out of state speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gotaticket

What is the name of your state? NJ

I've my driving license from NJ and got a speeding ticket while driving a rental car to Greenville, SC for driving 71mph on a 55mph road. The cop gave me a ticket for $180 and mentioned that I might 4 points for that. After going through a lot of website, I learned that its good to fight the ticket.

I'd like to request all the Guru's to findout my options here. Please read my questions below:

1. Is there any way that I can fight the ticket without traveling from NJ to SC? I mean can I request trial by mail or something like that?
2. Or how expensive it could be to hire a local attorney/lawyer to fight my case?
3. Or Can I request my friend who lives in Greenville, SC to appear the court on my behalf? If so what paper work I need to fill in so that my friend can appear the court to fight the ticket on my behalf?
3. Other thing I noticed is, the cop put my old address on the ticket. Can I really use this execuse and request the judge to dimiss my case? (Actually my old address is on the front of my license and the new address slip is pasted on the back of my license. I was told to do this by NJ DMV.

I'm not sure if I put everything in order that would make some sense to you all. Please let me know if you need any specific details about me or the speeding ticket?

G

gotaticket

I'm guilty. But let me explain the situation. I saw the cop atleast couple of thousand feet ahead of my car. He parked his car on the right shoulder. The moment I saw him, I applied the brakes and at the time I passed the cop's car, I was at the posted speed limit, 55mph. The moment I passed cop's car, he signalled me to pullover. So can he actually point the radar gun to the vehicles that are coming from the back? He didn't tell me that he clocked me or anything, just told me that I was doing 71mph on a 55mph road.

dequeendistress

So, you think that all radar is hand held?

Sorry, not the case.

Have you contacted the court which has jurisdiciton to inquire if you must physically show for court or if you may submit your fine and in doing so admit your guilt? Maybe a drivers defense course will help?

JETX

"Is there any way that I can fight the ticket without traveling from NJ to SC? I mean can I request trial by mail or something like that?"
*** If you plan on pleading guilty, you can do that by mail by simply paying the appropriate fine. The majority of traffic courts will require you to make an appearance if you want to dispute the ticket. There are a few (very few) that will allow a long-distance defense by telephone. You might contact the court and see if they will allow you some type of long-distance defense but it is doubtful.

"Or how expensive it could be to hire a local attorney/lawyer to fight my case?"
*** There are no 'standardized' legal fees. Depending on the issues to be argued, you might find one for anywhere from a few hundred $$ and up.

"Or Can I request my friend who lives in Greenville, SC to appear the court on my behalf?"
*** Unless your friend is a licensed attorney in the state, they can't 'represent' you.

"If so what paper work I need to fill in so that my friend can appear the court to fight the ticket on my behalf?"
*** See above.

"Other thing I noticed is, the cop put my old address on the ticket. Can I really use this execuse and request the judge to dimiss my case?"
*** No. That is not an 'excusable' error.

G

gotaticket

Thanks for faster replies. After going through your replies, looks like I dont have a strong case. But one thing I'd like to know is, if I plead guilty and ready to pay higher fines, is there anyway to reduce my points(from 4 to 2 or none)?

Who will suggest(is it the court?) me to take defensive driving classes to reduce my points?

Can I request the court that I'm ready to pay high amount in fine but to reduce my points?

Does anybody know, if the states SC and NJ are members of the Non-Resident Violators Compact?. Failure to take care of the out of state ticket will result in suspension of my driving privelige in NJ and the ticket will be shown on my NJ state driving record too?

JETX

"if I plead guilty and ready to pay higher fines, is there anyway to reduce my points(from 4 to 2 or none)?"
*** You could try to negotiate a plea bargain of a reduced charge or fine in return for a guilty plea.

"Who will suggest(is it the court?) me to take defensive driving classes to reduce my points?"
*** That is something that you will have to do.

"Can I request the court that I'm ready to pay high amount in fine but to reduce my points?"
*** See above.

"Does anybody know, if the states SC and NJ are members of the Non-Resident Violators Compact?"
*** Yes. Both states are members.
http://www.aamva.org/Documents/drvCompactsMemberStatus.PDF
http://www.aamva.org/drivers/drv_compactsNRVC.asp

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">