• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of state vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daddyof31988

I live in Indiana and my 2 older kids live with their guardian and I would like to take my kids out of state for vacation the week of 4th of July which is my normal week off from work. I told their guardian about this and she said I would need to type up a whole letter saying where we are going what address we will be staying at and all types of things. I'm just trying to see if I really need to do this or not I am the non-custodial parent but I don't have any kind of court order that says something of that nature? Please and thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is that your normal visitation time?
Whether you "have to" or not, why wouldn't you do that. Admittedly, I don't know the extent of the request, but is it really a hill to die on?

LdiJ

its definitely my normal visit time as I always get them the week that I'm off during summer time
The Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines do require you to provide that information to the other parent (guardian?). However, the other parent/guardian does not get to approve or disapprove of your vacation if your court orders give you that week. They just get to know where you will be and how to get ahold of you if necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">