• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out-of-Status F-1

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shienin

Out-of-Status F-1..please help me..someone

What is the name of your state? texas

I used to have a student visa but now I am out of status because I stopped taking classes since April 2003 because I couldnt afford to pay the tuition and all the expenses. And my visa just expired last Aug 2004. My aunt sponsored me but she died 3 years ago. Now my cousin offered to loan me some money for the tuition and a place to stay. I wanna go back to school and atleast finish a degree. What should I do? Can I apply for re-instatement? if so what will be my chance in approving my request by the INS?

Last edited:

ImmigAttyLana

Your chances of being reinstated after you have violated your status and have technically been out of status for the past 1.5 years is practically zero. However, you can certainly contact the school and find out what your options are as far as they are concerned.

shienin

I already contacted the school and the international advisor told me that I can apply to the school but one of their requirements would be to fill out the application form for re-instatement since I am out of status. So should I proceed in applying the re-instatement?

ImmigAttyLana

Well, if that is one of their requirements before they will reinstate you, and your wish is to be reinstated, then I am not really sure why you are asking this question.

shienin

I have another question

Thank you uvery much for answering my question.
But I have 2 more questions to ask you.
First, If I could find an employer here in US, will I be able to change my status and be able to work? and second, if granted to work here, will I be able to go back to my country after a few years?
Again thank you for your advice, and I hope to hear from you again.
God Bless

ImmigAttyLana

If your status is reinstated, then once you have a degree and are eligible for a change of status to, for instance an H-1B, then you can change status to that. If your status is not reinstated, you will not be able to change status within the US since, in order to change status, you must be IN status.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need further assistance with this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">