• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out on bond, no charges.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PayrollHRGuy

What is the name of the state? Califonia.

Reading this news story...https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/08/us/massive-seizure-of-guns-la-trnd/index.html

What I don't understand is this part.

Saenz posted $50,000 bail and was released Thursday morning. Details on the conditions of his release were not immediately available, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Deputy Marvin Crowder said.

No formal charges have been filed.
Why is there a bond if there are no charges?

quincy

What is the name of the state? Califonia.

Reading this news story...https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/08/us/massive-seizure-of-guns-la-trnd/index.html

What I don't understand is this part.

Why is there a bond if there are no charges?
To prevent flight. Charges are pending.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
IN some states that would not be allowed.

And no offense I was concerned when I read the thread header and poster. I was wondering what the heck happened that a senior got in trouble. DO NOT SCARE ME! I am getting older.

quincy

Someone who is arrested can post bond before arraignment (under some circumstances). It will be at the arraignment where formal charges are read and a plea is entered.

PayrollHRGuy

IN some states that would not be allowed.

And no offense I was concerned when I read the thread header and poster. I was wondering what the heck happened that a senior got in trouble. DO NOT SCARE ME! I am getting older.
If he hasn't been actually charged with a crime the arrest shouldn't be allowed much less the requirement for bail.

Sorry to scare you.

Welcome to California ;)

Also, I suspect that CNN's reporting isn't quite right. He has charges - that's what the arrest was based on.
I think that the reporting is flawed as well. He has to be charged with something.

quincy

There are no formal charges until arraignment.

The article you quoted speaks of formal charges.

Bond allows for the release of someone arrested, say, on Friday night when arraignment is not scheduled until Monday.

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

OK makes sense.

I do not that in the video it is mainly revolvers, non-semiauto shotguns, and non-semiauto rifles with the closest thing to an assault rifle being old SKS's. No sign of a .50 Caliber Machinegun.

quincy

OK makes sense.

I do not that in the video it is mainly revolvers, non-semiauto shotguns, and non-semiauto rifles with the closest thing to an assault rifle being old SKS's. No sign of a .50 Caliber Machinegun.
The news media often rely on police reports or on interviews with police officers, and the police do not always get the facts right. These errors can then make their way into the initial (breaking news) stories.

That was one heck of a lot of weapons confiscated. :)

PayrollHRGuy

The news media often rely on police reports or on interviews with police officers, and the police do not always get the facts right. These errors can then make their way into the initial (breaking news) stories.

That was one heck of a lot of weapons confiscated. :)
Or they hear something and then let their minds run free.

It is a lot of weapons but most of the long guns wouldn't have required registration if they were purchased prior to 2014. And a lot of the handguns could have been pre-91.

But with CA's gun laws, I would be surprised if you could get charged with manufacturing a firearm if you hold your index finger and thumb a certain way.

quincy

Or they hear something and then let their minds run free.

It is a lot of weapons but most of the long guns wouldn't have required registration if they were purchased prior to 2014. And a lot of the handguns could have been pre-91.

But with CA's gun laws, I would be surprised if you could get charged with manufacturing a firearm if you hold your index finger and thumb a certain way.
Apparently it is thought that the homeowner exceeded the scope of his firearms license with his sale of weapons.

I imagine authorities are looking at what else they can charge him with, possibly because those in his neighborhood are alarmed at the number of guns and the amount of ammunition seized from the home.

PayrollHRGuy

While a large collection the only thing he would be called around here is a collector, not a criminal. And I own way more ammo than either completed or the material needed for reloading than that photo showed.

quincy

While a large collection the only thing he would be called around here is a collector, not a criminal. And I own way more ammo than either completed or the material needed for reloading than that photo showed.
I imagine it was on reasonable suspicion of illegal sales of weapons that he was arrested and not on the quantity of weapons he possessed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">