• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out on bond, no charges.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

Some of the weapons are illegal to possess in California. This is what he was charged with. They suspect they will find more (most likely federal charges) as they unravel this. California has a liberal idea of what an illegal "assault weapon" is. Stuff that's common gun ownership in other states is a felony there.

justalayman

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) received an anonymous tip and obtained a search warrant before raiding Beck’s Bel Air home. ATF spokeswoman Ginger Colbrun said in a statement the tip called in claimed someone was “conducting illegal firearms transaction outside the scope of the federal firearm license that the individual possess.”

I think Quincy has it

quincy

That was the basis of the search warrant, but at this point I don't think federal charges were filed.
Charges are still being considered. Now that he is out on bond, there is no urgency with arraignment. I imagine there will be several different firearms charges when all is said and done.

justalayman

Charges are still being considered. Now that he is out on bond, there is no urgency with arraignment. I imagine there will be several different firearms charges when all is said and done.
But you have to be arrested for something. They can’t just arrest you and require bond to allow you to be released without some charge. There has to be some charge pending to require the suspect to be bonded out. Otherwise they can’t hold him.

And if the ATF procured the search warrant, the suspected crime would be of federal concern and not a state violation. California’s strict definition of an assault weapon wouldn’t be involved unless the search provided evidence of a state violation.

FlyingRon

It did. Did you bother to read the article? He was found in possession of a Browning .50 and other weapons illegal to possess under California law. This is what he has been charged with so far.

justalayman

It did. Did you bother to read the article? He was found in possession of a Browning .50 and other weapons illegal to possess under California law. This is what he has been charged with so far.
None of the articles I read listed what he was charged with or with any specific weapon

The article linked stated this:

Police arrested Girard Saenz, 57, at the first house over allegations of violating California's law regarding assault weapons and .50 Browning Machine Gun rifles, Los Angeles police Lt. Chris Ramirez said. The law prohibits the manufacture, distribution, transportation, importation and sale of any assault rifle or .50 BMG rifles, except in specific circumstances, according to the California Legislature.
That doesn’t say he was found with a browning machine gun. It is a quite generic statement saying he violated the law that includes acts regarding such weapons. As the cop stated: the law prohibits the sale, manufacture, distribution, etc of any assault rifle or .50 BMG rifle.

quincy

Confiscate is what my teachers used to do when I had cigarettes.
I would love to see the PC for issuing the warrant.
I am sure there will be more information coming out before long.

He was found in possession of an illegal weapon, however, which led to his arrest and initial charges. He was released on bond - and this release gives authorities more time to add to the initial charge.

Arraignment, and formal charges, might not be for weeks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">