• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

outlawsladyann

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

outlawsladyann

What is the name of your state? florida
ok, after much thought on this situation.......can dad sign off all parental rights on daughter (who will be 18 in oct). having been incarcerated all her life & is now being sought for support. mind you he in inside again & won't be out till after her b'day.
will he then only be responsible for monies paid to child by state? which goes back at the most 2 1/2 yrs-since she had her baby at 15. there is not currently any order for support & won't possibly be one before she turns 18.
hope i'm gicing all important 411 on this. thx for any ideas on this in advance

outlawsladyann

florida
ok, what is not likely to happen?
there is no order for support as we speak. if/when she does get an order, it will be after she turns 18. all the state will really be concerned with is the cash assist, foodstamps & help they gave her for the last 2 1/2 yrs. am i not thinking correctly on this one?
she has a caregiver who is supposed to be supporting her. if he gives up parental rights then he will no longer have to pay anything. i know this from my ex who did the very same thing. this is how it works on that in fla

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Generally, the courts will not allow a parent to sign away his/her rights just because they want to get out of paying support.

outlawsladyann

florida
generally no, but my ex was given the choice to sign off & he took it. seeing as dad has never been involved & now daughter wants nothing to do with him, including letting him see his granddaughter-i'm thinking they will let him sign off his rights. especially since she will 18 in less than two months

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">