• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

over billed then threatened collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkreiner

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin Hi, I was recently over billed for some hauling I subcontracted through my business. I verbally committed over the phone on a price and when sent the bill it was $400 higher than what was agreed. I paid the agreed upon amount in full. However, the other party is now threating me with collections unless the bill was paid in full. I am a sole proprietor and I did not receive or sign any documents agreeing to any price. What should I do?

FlyingRon

Threatening things is not the same as doing things. Watch your credit reports and your mail for court summonses.

adjusterjack

I verbally committed over the phone on a price
And then what happened when the guy showed up to do the work?

Were you there?
Did you confirm the price based on the actual job?

I suspect that the extra amount is more your fault than his and you'll end up paying it. The easy way or the hard way is your choice.

Lesson learned: Get the written agreement before the work starts.

jkreiner

The guy did the work as requested and I was there, it went as it should have. I never reconfirmed the price after the original conversation. I have contracted thousands of loads to be hauled without any problems with other haulers. This guy was out of the area and new and I guess he was thinking he could take advantage. On top of it he was also rude and demanding and wouldn't listen to reason. I guess I would rather do the hard way given the choice. I grew up around people who refused to stick up for themselves and were taken advantage of. I feel on principle you owe it to yourself and the crook your dealing with to fight. Not thrilled about my credit going in the toilet so I would love to avoid that, but if need be I will hire a lawyer. Obviously, it wont be cheaper or easier, but as long as he doesn't get paid I'm fine with that.

adjusterjack

You don't need a lawyer. Sue him in small claims court for $400 and let a judge decide if you owe it.

That's the only amount in question so hiring a lawyer for $300 per hour would be foolish.

jkreiner

This whole thing is foolish moneywise, but again its the principle. Would I be better off suing him right away or just wait and see? I was told today that he would receive little to nothing from collections if he did chose that route and he is probably bluffing. I would like the satisfaction of winning in small claims court. Maybe it would deter him from trying to cheat others in my industry. What do you think?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">