• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overcharged for Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Prince 'Ohia

I moved into a beautiful house at the beginning of the year. I used a broker and filled applications with honesty. I payed a months deposit of $2950.00 And first months rent three days before we were to move in. When the landlord found out that I had a twenty pound chiahuahua which was on the application the landlord charged me another deposit of $2950.00. I didn't have much choice but to write yet another check for one of my best friend. Is that even legal?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I moved into a beautiful house at the beginning of the year. I used a broker and filled applications with honesty. I payed a months deposit of $2950.00 And first months rent three days before we were to move in. When the landlord found out that I had a twenty pound chiahuahua which was on the application the landlord charged me another deposit of $2950.00. I didn't have much choice but to write yet another check for one of my best friend. Is that even legal?
Yes, it is legal in Hawai'i to charge a pet deposit, separate from the rental deposit, so long as it does not exceed 1 month's rent.

See: 521-44 (5)

The good news: if there's no pet damage when you move out, you should be able to get it back.

HRZ

Pet deposits are not illegal....however i f there was a lease in place and it did not require a pet deposit I question why one would agree to modify a lease .

AS an aside, in some circles, LL s treat pet deposits as Non refundable...take care...and take a lot of pictures especially if there is any existing /prior damage. .

in defense of LLs and as a retired LL, I just spent 4 days of craftsmanship with a friend to fix damage done to a modest home by a "small" dog and as a LL I've had to replace an entire living room hardwood floor because of a small dog and an inattentive owner

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">