• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overhelmed HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gettinbetter

What is the name of your state?I'm in California

I really need some help. I am 52 years old and I have never filed bankruptcy but I've been irresponsable with my finances for all of my life. It's getting real old and in the past few years I've noticed that I've developed a since of values. I want nothing more than to have a fresh start and to be a responsible citizen. Geez, that sounds wierd coming from an ol' hippy like me but it's true and I feel pretty proud of it.

I want to file before the Oct. 17th deadline but I'm having a problem coming up with a complete list of my creditors. I have been defaulting on my bills since I was 19 (33 years!) and I can not for the life of me, remember all of the creditors of my past. To make matters worse, about 4 1/2 years ago I was so depressed that I decided that I would never be able to get my finances in order, so I shredded all the bills that I had accumulated over the years, and I had my phone disconnected. For almost 5 years I was unemployed and finally got a job about a year ago (which I love).

Things are finally looking up for me but now I need to know who all of these creditors are. I just can't remember them all and I don't remember for which years I did not file my Fed taxes either. I'll sit down with a pen and pad of paper and try to recall but all I'll remember are things like getting new livingroom furniture for my first apartment in the 70's but I can't remember the name of the store of the finance company that I bought it from (they say your memory goes when you get older but I think it has more to do with growing up in the 60's and 70's). Is there some magical way that I find these things out? Since I went back to work, I have been saving my bills again, most are from collection agencies now, in fact; I believe a few are from collection agencies for other collection agencies! I can assure you that most of these bills are for the more current debts. I believe that the older ones just finally gave up on me, but I don't know that for sure and I don't want them coming after me after my backruptcy is complete. Any suggestions here?

Also last week, the California State Farnchise Tax Board finally caught up with me and are going to attach my wages as of the 15th of Sept. at the rate of 25%. That's gona hurt but then I guess I deserve it. Will filing bankruptcy stop even this?

I am feeling totally overwhelmed:(

Any advice from anyone will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Gettinbetter (I hope)

Who's Liable?

as stated, get a credit report from all 3 bureaus (Equifax, Trans-union, and Experian) and list all of they have listed...

I believe most BK lawyers have those reports included in their fee...

Ladynred

As for the really old debts, if they're more than 4 years past due, then the CA Statute of Limitations will be on your side as far as tell these collectors to take a hike. If any of them come sniffing around for a 10 year old debt you can pretty safely tell them to get lost, the debt is time barred. The SOL would be your first defense if any of the collectors have the gumption to sue you and the case would be thrown out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">