• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overpaid Unemployment Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yakety Yak

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

This is a 2 part question. My husband was let go from work back in 2003 and paid unemployment benefits. His employer fought it and won and so my husband was told he must repay the umpemployment benefits paid out. He hasn't worked since then and in fact recently filed for Disability as he has had deteriorating health since 2006. He hadn't heard back from the Disability office about the repayment until recently when my husband won $600 playing the lottery. When he went to cash in the winning ticket, they kept the money to apply toward the umemployment debt. That event has now triggered Unemployment writing to my husband and demanding payment.

My husband does not have any income of any sort and with his health the way it is, won't likely be able to work for a while if ever. My 1st question is, is there any kind of statute of limitations on a gov't debt like this and my 2nd question is, can the gov't come after me for payment? We were just married in 2008.

Would appreciate any advice on how to handle this.

Yakety Yak

Follow-up

Thanks Racer...Simple and direct responses always appreciated!

One quick follow-up, can they tap into our joint checking acct. to collect the debt?

racer72

Yes they can. You need to separate any pre-marital assets and have any bank accounts in your name only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">