• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overpaid wages, debt recollection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?
Reside in VA.
But wage in question was earned in NC.

I worked as a intern in 2002 for a company in NC. They ended up paying me more. I had called up the HR and they told me if there was any mistake they will contact me. I never heard from them.
Now in 2006 I hear from a debt collection agency. I now learn that the company I worked for sent me a letter in 2002, informing me of the mistake and asking me to pay back, but by that they sent me the letter, I had moved and I never recieved their letter.

The question I have is which states statue of limitations applies? NC or VA?
If its NC, the SOL is 3 years and has run out and is it prudent to try to fight the claim?
The amount in question is about $800.
What impact will it have on my records, specially if I apply for green card.

Thanks for the advice.


Senior Member
Your SOL claim does not apply, once you left the state the statute of limitations clock stopped. I don't know how if will affect your green card but a judgment against you won't help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential