• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Maryland
I received a letter from my former employee stating that they had over paid me by $407 on my last paycheck and they wanted it back. I have not worked for the company since 01/19/06. When I called to find out what was going on they said they hadn't received my termination paperwork from my supervisor in time for the final paycheck dated 01/31/06 to be deducted for time not worked. Also accordling to them, I received a incentitive check in late 02/06 that had actually been deducted by $300 to start the supposed payback of my overpaid time. Yet they still sent me $79 of the incentive pay! Do I have to pay them back for those funds? I was under the impression that it was my final check from 2 weeks held back. I do not have the funds to pay back. If I have no recourse can I pay back $1 every two weeks and not be sent to collection? Someone PLEASE HELP!!!! I really need to know where I stand legally.What is the name of your state?


Senior Member
If they did indeed overpay you, then yes, you have to pay the money back. If you don't, they can go to court, get a garnishment and serve you and your current employer.

First, ask your employer for justification for the overpayment in writing. If, after reviewing that, you agree that they made a mistake and overpaid you, then contact the employer to see if you can work out some sort of repayment plan agreeable to both of you. I doubt $1 every two weeks is going to cut it though. At that rate, it will take you 17 years to pay off the debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential