• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overpayment by employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I work in the state of Iowa but the main office is located in Minnesota. A couple of pay periods ago the company made a mistake on everyone's pay checks by paying us double time when we should have recieved only time and a half. They notified us and said that the mistake would be taken out of the next check and to plan accordingly. This left one part-time employee owing the company 7 hrs. worth of work. Since it was the company's mistake in the first place can they make us pay back the money? And if they have the right to get the money back can they take it all back at one time? I've been told that it isn't legal for the company to take back the whole sum at once, but rather they are supposed to take it back over a period of time so as not to have employees coming up short. Your help would help a great many people at my place of employment. Thank you.



In general the company certainly has a right to take back any overpayments made. Whether it can do that all at once or over a period of time, I am not sure in your state. You may want to contact a labor lawyer near you in Iowa. You may find one at attorneypages.com

Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential