• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overpayment in final paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Deliriou5

What is the name of your state? TX

I recently resigned from a major corporation and received my final paycheck. A few weeks later I received a letter from that corporation claiming that they overpaid me around $1000 and requested that I repay them the full amount.

Am I legally obligated to repay this money?

Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, you are legally obligated to repay the money. I don't know where so many people get the idea that if they are overpaid, they get to keep the money. If you had been underpaid, would you expect the company to get to keep the money they should have paid you?

D

Deliriou5

I thought maybe it was like the postal thing (which may be urban legend - I plead ignorance) where if you receive something in the mail which you did not order, you are not legally required to return it.

Thanks for the clarification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">