• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overpayment of disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Susan Marx

Hello I am from PA. I just received a lump sum Social Secruity Check for the last year. I had been receiving long term disability from my emploee disability insurance for the last year. Once I received Social Secruity my emploee insurance company has demanded repayment of even more money than I Social Secruity has sent me. This is because their money was taxable plus I had costs obtaining this money. They have given me 30 days to pay them back or they will charge interest. They want me to sign a promisory note. They also request I sign papers that they have access to all my socical secruity and medical information. Do I have to give them this information and sign these papers? Can they charge me interest if I do not have the full sum? I had never seen this policy and this came as complete surprise. Ater obtaining a copy it does say I can only earn 1/2 of my former pay. I guess that does not cover any medical insurance I pay. Thanks

ALawyer

This gets confusing and complicated.

A lawyer would have to look at the policy and terms to tell you what to do. A legal plan MAY be a great way to go. ANd don't be in a hurry to sign anything UNTIL you know your rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">