• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overprescribing of Schedule ll Drugs & the Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustSomeGirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? U.S. Resident

A physician has been prescribing me a very high dosage of a schedule ll drug for the past 6 years. I have not 'doctor shopped,' nor has any prescriptions been obtained by me that were not fully 100% legitimate in all ways. I had the same doctor for the entire time I have been taking this drug, and the dosage has remained the same for at least 5 years now. The problem is that the dosage of this highly addictive and closely monitored drug that I have been prescribed for the past 6 years is about 4-5 times the 'normal' therapeutic dosage. I have never had a problem getting a pharmacy to fill it, though a couple of times the pharmacist had to call to make sure the script was indeed real, and not forged or altered since the quantity of the drug is way above normal. Note: Yes, I have been taking this prescription - as prescribed, every day and have NEVER sold any, or gave any away. In short: Everything has been going quite smoothly for the entire time. Until recently, that is.
My employer switched insurance coverage to another insurer to save money on their end. I was forced to shop for another pharmacy to use for this prescription to save money on my end due to a very high deductible which I never had to pay before.
I found a pharmacy that could fill my prescription for way less than others in the area. So, I began using them each month to fill my script. That began about three months ago.
Recently, my doctor informed me that he had been recently paid a visit from our state's drug control authority (not sure of the 'official' agency or department, but the ones whose job it is to monitor controlled substances in my state). They apparently has been following up on a complaint from my new pharmacy that the doctor had been prescribing me much too high of a dosage every month. He discussed this fact in a letter I received from him whixh also told me that our doctor/patient relationship was finished and he would not be prescribing me any more drugs, and that all treatment would end immediately.

My concern is this (finally, I know). He mentioned in the letter that he is not certain what legal actions may, or may not be taken against ME! He seems to be free and clear of any legal action(s) being taken against him, but he implied in his letter that I may be in some legal trouble, for lack of a better description...He was not absolutely certain anything would happen to me, or so he stated.

Finally....MY question: Could I - the patient who always and without any exceptions legally obtained my prescriptions form one, and only one doctor, and filling them monthly - NO foul play on my part whatsoever, be at risk for any legal charges being placed against ME by this agency??? This obviously has me quite concerned. I have a spotless record - never been arrested in my life, or in any trouble with the law - ever. My biggest offense was ONE speeding ticket about 8 years ago, which was dismissed by the court.

Is there ANY reason for ME to worry about this? Could they charge me with anything even though I did nothing wrong that I am aware of?

I apologize for the length of this post. It's late, I'm tired, worried, and typing too much, LOL.

Thank you in advance for any advice/help/suggestions I may get from others regarding this matter. I appreciate it greatly.

Unless that agency fids that you have been using other scripts from other doctors (and thanks to using insurance) they shouldn't. You need to get your Ex doctor to refer you to another doctor.

tranquility

You are not the expert, the doctor is. You have no criminal responsibility for taking the medication as prescribed by a single doctor as long as you didn't sell or give any away. While I wouldn't talk to the police without an attorney, I don't think you have a lot to worry about.

If you do have legal difficulties and have to hire an attorney in defense and the cost gets high, you might consider suing the doctor for malpractice to pay for your damages. It won't be worth it and no one will take your case unless you develop substantive damages, but if everything you've said was true, this was his fault and not yours. Just because he is out of criminal trouble, does not mean he doesn't have civil liability to you in some way for his error.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">