• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overtime on Drive time.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cantsleep_05

What is the name of your state? Illinois.

If a man has 58 hours in a work week, and 10 of those hours are drivetime, does he get paid 18 hours of overtime or only 8?? Basically, is drive time qualified for overtime in the state of Illinois? Thanks for your response, I cant find the answer in FAQ's.

pattytx

What kind of drive time? Job site to job site? Where do you start/end your day......office or home? Are you a interstate driver? Do you always drive? Or sometimes do you ride? Are you paid by commissions only, an hourly rate only, or both?

The answer, very generally speaking, is yes. However, there can be exceptions. We need much more info.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If by drivetime you mean time commuting to and from your home, no, that is not compensated.

If you are talking about time driving between job sites, then we need more info as Patty has stated.

cantsleep_05

pattytx said:
What kind of drive time? Job site to job site? Where do you start/end your day......office or home? Are you a interstate driver? Do you always drive? Or sometimes do you ride? Are you paid by commissions only, an hourly rate only, or both?

The answer, very generally speaking, is yes. However, there can be exceptions. We need much more info.
Ok, I work for an electrical cable company, I install temp monitoring systems in grainbins. Now, another guy and I work togther in our region and share a van. He lives a few miles south of me and our region is north of me, so he picks me up in the company van and we head to job sites. We alternate driving. Most days we are on one job, and on occassion we may be at 2-4 jobs a day, depending if it is installation or service work that we are doing. Some places we work are 3-4 hours away and anything over 100 miles away we stay the night and the comp. pays for hotel and meals. But on days that we are 100 miles away and come home, that is 3 hours a day that I havent been receiving over time pay for. I'm hourly pay only. If you need any other details let me know. Thanks for the replies!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless I am mistaken (Patty?) unless you have a bona fide contract that says otherwise, there are no circumstances in which you are entitled to be paid overtime or anything else for the time you spend driving from your home to the first job site, or for the time between the last job site and your home.

cantsleep_05

cbg said:
Unless I am mistaken (Patty?) unless you have a bona fide contract that says otherwise, there are no circumstances in which you are entitled to be paid overtime or anything else for the time you spend driving from your home to the first job site, or for the time between the last job site and your home.
Ok, what about for the drive time in between?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You do need to be compensated for driving between job sites, just not from home to the job site or the job site to home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">