• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overtime pay, defamation, hostile work conditions, labor laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I worked for a company for a total of three months, the job ended on the last day of my 30 day probation period. During the time I worked for this company, I was screamed at by the owner in front of other employees, called names and hit (spanked on the buttocks in a disciplinary way) by the owners wife. I was told that I was an idiot and that I didn't know what I was doing, never had one cmplaint from any of my customers, in fact I had many compliments, both verbal, written and in ways of a gift from my customers. While at this job I was specifically told that I could not a break ( I worked 40 hours every week, 8 hour shifts. As employees we were told that we were paid on a "salary" basis, if we worked over our 40 hours we were not compensated, if under, we were docked. He based our paychecks on a 160 hour month, but most months had a 168 hours. WHen I got my 90 day review, he made me sign a paper agreeing to an extension of the probation for another 30 days, implied that if I did not sign it, I would belet go. The next day ( a saturday) he called me into the office so he could fire me. Does this sound like I have case? I am past my statuate of limitation?



Does not sound like a very nice place to work. Because every state has its own specific employment rules, I can only give you general information. I would contact your state's dept. of employment to get more information about exempt and non-exempt(hourly)rules. Also the 160 hours versus 168 per month. If you think he is not complying with the law, then contact the Dept of Employment about filing a grievance against him. You also need to check the rules for employers depending on how many employees they have. If you believe your damages are sufficient, think about finding an employment lawyer to help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential