• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overtime Pay for local truck drivers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nick22611

Virginia

Overtime Pay for local truck drivers
I work for a company that recently switched us CDL-A Tractor Trailer drivers from Hourly to 'Load Pay'. This made it so the company does not have to pay overtime. Work days are anywhere from 10-14 hours or more. I haul 2 loads of product from one rendering plant to another rendering plant both owned by the same company within the same state Virginia. The product is then mixed/blended with other products at the 2nd facility to be hauled by another trucking company to customers who will use the final raw material to produce their own product. I question the legality of denying overtime to CDL-A drivers who are not transporting from one customer to another, are not leaving the state and who are transporting from one company location to another location within the same company. This same company employs CDL-B drivers straight trucks. These drivers pick up raw materials from slaughterhouses, butchers, restaurants. Hauls those materials to the rendering plant for processing. These drivers are paid hourly plus time and a half for anything over 40. Furthermore, the company I work for has many locations across the country. The only location they pay CDL-A drivers on load pay is in Winchester VA. No other locations pay drivers load pay and deny overtime. I don't see how this is fair or legal to single out drivers at one plant and not all others. I found this on the internet... The following are examples of drivers who are not exempt because they are not engaged in interstate transportation drivers transporting goods around a plant that produces goods for commerce chauffeurs or drivers of company cars or buses that transport officers or employees from place to place within an facility which produces goods for commerce drivers who transport goods from a producers plant to the processors plant to be used as a part or ingredient of the second producers goods that will be sold in commerce drivers transporting goods between a factory and the plant of an independent contractor who performs part of the manufacturing of the goods, after which they are returned to the factory for further processing

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">