• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overtime pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alleyinsc

What is the name of your state? south carolina: i work in the maint depart for a grocery store chain i work monday through fiday 8 till 4:30 and on call till the next morning and work every third weekend if i work over during the week they expect me to take the time off at reg pay but keep pager on so they can get in touch with me if needed i explained that if i have to be on call that its not being off they say thats just the way its always been and if i like my job thats the way it will be i ask for it in writing and they said no i asked whats happens if i am taking extra time off and they page me and i am to were i can not come in what happens they said as long as it dont happen to often is this legal?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Next time, please use punctuation. Your post is extremely hard to read.

If I am following it correctly, you are trying to claim overtime pay for your on call time. You may or may not be entitled to it depending on the specific situation.

If at any time you WORK more than 40 hours in a week, you are entitled to overtime at time and a half for any hours over 40, and you can file a complaint with the DOL if they do not provide it. However, on call time is not considered working time unless your movements are severely restricted. By which I mean that if you have a beeper and can pretty much go where you want as long as you respond within a reasonable time, your movements are not restricted and you are not entitled to on call pay; however, if you are not issued a beeper and you have to sit by the phone and respond within 10 minutes, then your movements are pretty much restricted and on call pay would be required.

You can describe your situation to the DOL and see what they think. They're the best ones to judge if your specific situation qualifies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">