• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overtime pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

davrains

What is the name of your state? nevada
I have been working for the same doctor for the past year and today she advised me that she would no longer be paying overtime pay. She advised me that since she is a small business she is not responsible to pay the overtime and also because I make $12.00 an hour I make too much to qualify for overtime. is this true?::confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The part about your making too much money to qualify for overtime pay is absolute and total nonsense. NOTHING in the law states that at a particular wage, OT no longer applies, and even if it did, I guarantee you that it would be MUCH higher than $12 per hour.

It's just barely possible that if her business is small enough, she MIGHT be flying under the radar of the Fair Labor Standards Act but that is very, very doubtful.

However, she does not now (and never has had to) allow you to WORK overtime in the first place. As long as you never work over 40 hours in a week you would not be eligible for OT at all, and she has EVERY right to send you home for the rest of the week when you've worked that many hours.

R

Ramoth

Nevada is one of those states that requires OT after 8 hours a day, IF you make less than a certain amount. At $12 per hour, you don't have to get paid OT for more than 8 hours a day, but everything after 40 a week would be OT.

D

davrains

cbg and ramoth thank you very much the thats what i thought but it always helpd to get some advice

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">