• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overtime Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The Occultist

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I am a manager at a movie theatre as a wage earner, and it is not uncommon for me to work around 50 hours in any given week. I don't, however, receive any overtime pay. I asked my boss about it once and he said that movie theatre employees do not receive overtime pay. Poking around some of the other posts, I see "exempt" and "non-exempt" quite a bit. So, are theatre employees typically exempt, and that's why I'm not receiving overtime pay? Who gets to determine who is and isn't exempt?

pattytx

There used to be an exception to the regulations stating that executive employees, such as managers, in the motion picture industry do not have to be paid on a salary basis to be exempt and, as an exempt employee, overtime pay is not required. However, I'm not sure that would have applied to your position in particular, and it appears that exception has been rescinded.

It is up to the employee to properly classify the employee, based on the federal Fair Labor Standards Act regulations. However, if there is a difference of opinion or you need further clarification as to your specific situation you can always contact the federal Dept. of Labor.

For general information on the differences, see here:
http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/fairpay/fs17b_executive.htm

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">