• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overtime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gigglelots

So I am a full time graveyard shift employyee and I work 40 hours a week generally anything over 40 hours is considered overtime two of my hours are for cleaning the office either way I get paid for 40 hours per week for the last three years recently I was called into work on one of my days off for three hours this would have put me at 43 hours however they only paid me for 42 regular hours And one hour overtime everyone else who works over 40 hours is paid straight overtime can they do this

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It depends. What is your employer's regular work week and what days/hours do you work?

LdiJ

So I am a full time graveyard shift employyee and I work 40 hours a week generally anything over 40 hours is considered overtime two of my hours are for cleaning the office either way I get paid for 40 hours per week for the last three years recently I was called into work on one of my days off for three hours this would have put me at 43 hours however they only paid me for 42 regular hours And one hour overtime everyone else who works over 40 hours is paid straight overtime can they do this
Its possible that it has something to do with your two hours for cleaning the office. They may classify those differently so that it looks like you work 38 hours at your regular job and 2 hours of office cleaning. If so, it could make it look like you had 40 hours at your regular job, 2 hours cleaning, and one hour overtime.

You should bring it up with HR. They may not have intended to only pay you for 1 hour of overtime, it might just be the way things are coded that made that happen.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Also, graveyard shift is tricky since a single shift can actually run into 2 different days, and by extension even into a different week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">