• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overworked-underpaid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

quicstp

What is the name of your state?TN

I have been a manager at a convenient store for 4 years. It was 2 1/2 years ago when a managers meeting was called and we were told that managers would now only get paid for a 40 hour work week no matter how many hours you work. Also because of this managers would now get a quarterly bonus of all inside sales. Like I said I have been there for 4 years and only received 1 bonus check and it was for the first complete quarter after the meeting. Even though this is a verbal agreement is that right. I have worked many many weeks over 40 hours but never get paid overtime or the bonus. Is there anything I can do. Also I was given a raise in October of 03 and it has not yet been applied to my earnings, anything I can do about that or is it just one of those situations their word against mine.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether or not they can legally pay you on a straight salary basis depends on your job duties and whether or not you qualify as an exempt employee, but if you are a manager there's a pretty good chance that you do and they can.

As far as the bonuses go, was there anything in writing?

Barring a bona fide contract that says otherwise, the only time an employer is compelled to give you a raise is if you are being paid at minimum wage and minimum wage is raised by either an act of Congress or your state legislature.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">