• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owe back payments due to accounting error...Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mkarr

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? IL

Please help...
For the last 6 months my employer has not deducted my insurance payments. I had no idea there was any problem until today when they told me I had 4 pay periods (2 months) to pay $312. Do I really owe them this money? Though I should have noticed the lack of dedection on my paychecks, it was there fault for not deducting after I filled out all the proper paperwork. $312 dollars is a lot of money to me and I am on a tight bedget that cannot accomodate these back payments. What is my responsibilty in this matter? I have no ideas what my rights are and am afraid if I question this or request a different payment plan I could be fired. Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It may have been their error, but that doesn't mean that you don't have to repay them. Yes, you are still responsible for making the payments even if they are the ones who messed up.

I find it difficult to believe that you would be fired for asking for a more flexible pay schedule under the circumstances. There's no reason in the world why you can't tell them that you're willing to pay but ask for 6 payments instead of 4, or whatever. They are not under any obligation to do so, however. They MAY, if they choose, hold you to the schedule they have already laid out.

I'm not blaming you for this, but next time, check your stubs. They may have made the initial mistake but you compounded it by not paying attention.

HomeGuru

mkarr said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? IL

Please help...
For the last 6 months my employer has not deducted my insurance payments. I had no idea there was any problem until today when they told me I had 4 pay periods (2 months) to pay $312. Do I really owe them this money? Though I should have noticed the lack of dedection on my paychecks, it was there fault for not deducting after I filled out all the proper paperwork. $312 dollars is a lot of money to me and I am on a tight bedget that cannot accomodate these back payments. What is my responsibilty in this matter? I have no ideas what my rights are and am afraid if I question this or request a different payment plan I could be fired. Thanks.
**A: you not only have the right but you have the duty, responsibility and liablility to make the payment.

M

mkarr

Thanks..

Thanks for the answers. They were exactly what I expected. I just hope they'll will be super flexible with a repayment schedule. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">