• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owe back taxes for state I never worked in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taxhelp123

For tax year 2014 I was living and working in Florida. However the address on my drivers license was my sisters place in Louisiana because I had lived with her for a bit, so I was receiving my mail there. But I never worked in Louisiana. I recently got a tax bill from the Louisiana Department of Revenue stating that I owe state income tax for the year of 2014 with some major interest charges and fees. I called them up and they said since my drivers licenses address was in Louisiana and I received mail in Louisiana that makes me a permanent resident in Louisiana. Am I still liable for owing state income tax in a state where I physical did not live nor earn any income? For tax year 2014 I used turbo tax to file my taxes.

taxhelp123

They said the only way they will accept proof is if there is a drivers record of me in Florida, but my drivers license was a Louisiana license. How else could I prove it?

LdiJ

They said the only way they will accept proof is if there is a drivers record of me in Florida, but my drivers license was a Louisiana license. How else could I prove it?
Unfortunately you cannot. Most states these days are taking the position that if you have a driver's license, car registration, homestead credit on property taxes or are registered to vote in their state, that you are a resident of their state for tax purposes, and they do NOT back down on the issue. I have been through this with quite a few clients in the last few years.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How did you have a driver's license in Louisiana if you did not live there?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...the address on my drivers license was my sisters place in Louisiana because I had lived with her for a bit ...
... Am I still liable for owing state income tax in a state where I physical did not live ...
Why is it that you say both that you did and did not live with her?

If/when you moved to Florida you were required to obtain a Florida license within 10 days of establishing residency. Since you failed to do that, it's only logical that Louisiana assumed you were still a resident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">