• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owed Money, is Non-compete still valid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crosby1

What is the name of your state? VIRGINIA

I recently quit working for a company with which I had a non-compete agreement. After much haggling and expense, I convinced them to allow me to work for a competitor as long as I do not solicit my old customers.

My question is this: I am owed a substantial bonus for work that I performed during the first quarter of 2005 (my last day of employment was 4/1/05). As of today (5/13/05) I have not received the bonus, so at this point I'm assuming I'm not going to see it at all.

By virtue of the fact that the company obviously has no intention of paying the bonus, am I still legally bound by the non-compete agreement?

Last edited:

Beth3

By virtue of the fact that the company obviously has no intention of paying the bonus, am I still legally bound by the non-compete agreement?
That depends upon the exact wording of the agreement and whether the employer is in default and to find that out, you're going to have to show the agreement to an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">