• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owner Financed and escrow agent forgot to pay taxes.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

Ownerfinanced

What is the name of your state?
Texas

My house is owner financed. The guy who holds the mortgage sold the house to me and set himself up as the escrow agent so that I would pay the taxes and insurance to him. This year, he was late. He told me that it was my responsibility to send him the tax statement and that I should pay the late fees. He paid the amount and is trying to back charge me for $300 plus interest now. While I have given the tax statement to him in the past, I felt it was a courtesy. I didn't recceive the statement this year but it says that not receiving the statement does not excuse you from paying taxes on time.
He does not request the insurance statement (he gets it himself) and pays them on time.

As the escrow agent, isn't the burnden on him to pay taxes on time? The tax assessor says that most mortgage companies get the statement sent directly to them. The contract says nothing about my being required to send him the statement.

HomeGuru

Ownerfinanced said:
What is the name of your state?
Texas

My house is owner financed. The guy who holds the mortgage sold the house to me and set himself up as the escrow agent so that I would pay the taxes and insurance to him.

**A: wrong already. Escrow is supposed to be an unbiased unrelated thors party.
This year, he was late. He told me that it was my responsibility to send him the tax statement and that I should pay the late fees. He paid the amount and is trying to back charge me for $300 plus interest now. While I have given the tax statement to him in the past, I felt it was a courtesy. I didn't recceive the statement this year but it says that not receiving the statement does not excuse you from paying taxes on time.
He does not request the insurance statement (he gets it himself) and pays them on time.

As the escrow agent, isn't the burnden on him to pay taxes on time?

**A: yes, but hey, he's the Seller and not a professional escrow or collection account company.

The tax assessor says that most mortgage companies get the statement sent directly to them. The contract says nothing about my being required to send him the statement.
**A: another wrong move since you did not have an attorney review your contract before signing it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">