• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owner of a policy is deceased but the insured is still living

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

b.femmina

Ohio (Cuyahoga County)

My father purchased a life insurance plan for me in 1993 through John Han****. He is considered the owner of the policy, but I am listed as the insured person.
He passed away in 2008 and I have decided now to surrender the policy for it's current value.

What would the best way of obtaining ownership of the policy for myself? My mother is the executrix of his estate and what was recommended is for her to file for ownership and then present me with the surrendered value, is that in fact best?

Betty

If the policy has a cash value, it must be submitted for probate (it's an asset of the deceased) & the court will assign ownership to someone else.
The policy can then be surrendered by the owner for the cash value.

Sometimes there is a contingent owner named in the policy but this is fairly
rare & it seems that is not the case here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">