• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owners put me as owner for tax records, do I own land?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Unipsi

Texas - So, I was in contract to lease to own property (vacant lot) and I was making payments for about 9 months. I made improvements to the land, which I suppose I could put a lean on the land for reimbursement, but I haven't. Once I discovered the land was in a new flood zone and couldn't use the property the way I wanted, I backed out of the contract and owners agreed.

About 2 years later I discovered that the owners put me as the owner of the property in city records, including for taxes. When you do a search for the property, I come up as the owner. I might owe taxes on it, but there is no mailbox at the address and I haven't received any notices and to my knowledge I haven't paid any taxes on it yet.

Question: Do I now own the property even though I don't hold the title? Do I have any claim to the land? Do I now have to go through the time/expense of removing my name from the property or should I just pay taxes on it and claim the property as mine?

adjusterjack

Without reading your contract all I can do is guess and speculate so don't take any of my answers as gospel. Have your contract reviewed by a lawyer.

Do I now own the property even though I don't hold the title?
I'm probably safe in saying "no" to that question. With a lease to own contract, you generally don't own anything until some future date when certain conditions are met. An exception might be if your contract allows for periodic vesting of partial ownership along with way. I seriously doubt that your contract has that.

Do I have any claim to the land?
Unlikely, especially in so short a time.

Do I now have to go through the time/expense of removing my name from the property or should I just pay taxes on it and claim the property as mine?
Whether or not you owe the taxes depends on the terms and conditions of your contract. Read it. If it says you pay the taxes then you owe at least the pro-rated amount for the time you occupied the land under contract.

Understand that paying the taxes doesn't give you a claim to ownership, nor do you have any claim for reimbursement for the improvements, unless your contract says you do.

Did you get anything in writing from the seller agreeing to cancel the contract and addressing the taxes?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Look at the property records in that county and see if they transferred the deed for the property to you.

Litigator22

Look at the property records in that county and see if they transferred the deed for the property to you.
" . . . transferred the deed for the property . . ."?

Granted that a layperson might be expected to use such improper phrasing in mistakenly likening the conveyance of record ownership of land with endorsing over a certificate of title to a motor vehicle, but a lawyer . . . ?

quincy

" . . . transferred the deed for the property . . ."?

Granted that a layperson might be expected to use such improper phrasing in mistakenly likening the conveyance of record ownership of land with endorsing over a certificate of title to a motor vehicle, but a lawyer . . . ?
Did you have anything of value to add to this thread, Litigator?

FarmerJ

wonders if the seller recorded the rent to own agreement or used it to convince the property tax desk to change property tax billing to buyer?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It doesn't seem so. It seems he wants to scold OH for not using bloviating legalize. Shame on her. She dishonors her Law Professors and her JD.
I want to bring honor to my Professors.
[Seamstress 1:] Men want girls with good taste
[Seamstress 2:] Calm
[Fa Li:] Obedient
[Seamstress 1:] Who work fast-paced
[Fa Li:] With good breeding
[Seamstress:] And a tiny waist
[All three:] You'll bring honor to us all

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">