• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owner's title policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t74

What is the name of your state? OK

Is ir necessary to save the owner's title policy once a house is sold? If so, for how long?

FlyingRon

I'd keep it for a while. If your buyer (or someone downstream) has an issue with the title, they can likely come after you for five years.

LdiJ

It depends on your backup & retrieval system ;)
True, the backup and retrieval system matters but still, your backup and retrieval system only works as long as the software is still compatible with the hardware. We guarantee that we can store things for 10 years and still retrieve them, but we don't guarantee any longer than that, even though we are at about 14 years right now. I haven't had a computer last more than 5 years at home. Sure I could store things on memory sticks, but if ten years from now memory sticks are obsolete, I might have a hard time retrieving that data.

Computers are wonderful things but anything truely important goes into the safety deposit box in hard copy.

t74

Eh...how long is the computer going to work and be available to retrieve the item? I'd just keep the closing packet in a safe place.
I sis not considere the closing packages as I have not unearthed them from the non-filing system I have used for over 50 years df married life.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
True, the backup and retrieval system matters but still, your backup and retrieval system only works as long as the software is still compatible with the hardware. We guarantee that we can store things for 10 years and still retrieve them, but we don't guarantee any longer than that, even though we are at about 14 years right now. I haven't had a computer last more than 5 years at home. Sure I could store things on memory sticks, but if ten years from now memory sticks are obsolete, I might have a hard time retrieving that data.

Computers are wonderful things but anything truely important goes into the safety deposit box in hard copy.
I agree with you.

FarmerJ

When LdIJ mentioned computers dying , my favorite , my desk top had to go to the shop and as luck would have it a older desk top I used as a spare , the hard drive died. so now im using my glorified movie watcher (laptop) I have a few old floppy disk drive and it can be plugged in to read 1.44 disk BUT some day I imagine even those wont work SO Ive taken to making real paper copies with a printer that uses ink, laser type printers the print fades too easily.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">