• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ozempic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? IL

I read all the dangerous things Ozempic can cause. It looks to be unsafe to take. A doctor I seen twice put me on it to reduce weight. I had a bad reaction on my skin and slight pain. I stopped using it. I'm back with my old doctor and I'm now on a safer older brand tablet I've taken in the past for control of my diabetes. I spoke to a lawyer once about to sue the doctor for malpractice. I would rather sue the manufacturer of the drug. My skin is fine now. No lower stomach pain. I think I'll just stick to try walking more. I did file a medwatch fda complaint a out the skin reaction and slight stomach pain.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for sharing. The fact that you suffered known side effects that have had (apparently) ZERO long-term effect doesn't mean you've hit the lottery.

quincy

I read all the dangerous things Ozempic can cause. It looks to be unsafe to take. A doctor I seen twice put me on it to reduce weight. I had a bad reaction on my skin and slight pain. I stopped using it. I'm back with my old doctor and I'm now on a safer older brand tablet I've taken in the past for control of my diabetes. I spoke to a lawyer once about to sue the doctor for malpractice. I would rather sue the manufacturer of the drug. My skin is fine now. No lower stomach pain. I think I'll just stick to try walking more. I did file a medwatch fda complaint a out the skin reaction and slight stomach pain.
I don’t see any medical malpractice in what you relate to us here.

I am happy to hear that you are now seeing a doctor you trust.

zddoodah

I'll note right off the top that your post contains no questions for us.

A doctor I seen twice put me on it to reduce weight. I had a bad reaction on my skin and slight pain. I stopped using it.
Did you immediately speak with the prescribing doctor about the reaction and before stopping use of the drug?

I spoke to a lawyer once about to sue the doctor for malpractice.
Why do you believe the doctor committed malpractice?

I would rather sue the manufacturer of the drug.
On what basis? While skin reaction is not one of the "most common side effects of" the drug that are mentioned on its website, stomach/abdominal pain is, and every prescription drug has possible side effects. It sounds like yours were extremely mild and that you suffered no real compensable damages as a result. Given that you had mild/no damages, your case won't be worth anything, so you'd have to fund any lawsuit yourself by paying all costs (including expert medical witnesses) and an attorney on an hourly basis. Do you have $50k or so to cover these costs?

quincy

Here for informational purposes is the warning label information for Ozempic, from the FDA (current as of 2020):

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2017/209637lbl.pdf

All prescription-drug users are encouraged to report negative side effects to the FDA through the FDA’s MedWatch link (https://www.fda.gov/safety/medwatch-fda-safety-information-and-adverse-event-reporting-program).

You mentioned that you already sent a “complaint” to MedWatch about the side effects you experienced. IF the side effects were not ones already outlined on the warning label, you might hear back from the FDA.

Edit: The previously-broken link is fixed.

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

I read all the dangerous things Ozempic can cause. It looks to be unsafe to take.
Many prescription drugs have a long list of possible side effects. The vast majority of those side effects were experienced by a small portion of the group studied in the drug testing process. But even if a side effect is not common, the drug manufacturer will include a warning about it in its drug fact sheet to alert patients. They do that not just because it's a nice thing to let the patient know what might happen. Listing the possible side effect helps insulate the manufacturer against lawsuits for a defective or dangerous drug. Suing the manufacturer over this would be extremely expensive and you would win nothing even cost to that cost even if you happen to win the case. In short, it would a money loser for you considering your side effects were relatively mild and temporary.

When you had side effects you didn't like you stopped the drug and switched to another that does not have that side effect. Problem solved. That's a very sensible and common way to deal with this sort of thing. I've had temporary side effects from drugs that were not listed on the drug fact sheet and still didn't sue the drug manufacturer because no long serious harm was done and the effect was temporary. And I'm a lawyer associated with a firm that does personal injury lawsuits. So I'd not have had any legal bills to pay and the case would still have been a loser because of the other costs involved, notably the expert witness fees.

A doctor I seen twice put me on it to reduce weight. I had a bad reaction on my skin and slight pain. I stopped using it. I'm back with my old doctor and I'm now on a safer older brand tablet I've taken in the past for control of my diabetes. I spoke to a lawyer once about to sue the doctor for malpractice. I would rather sue the manufacturer of the drug. My skin is fine now. No lower stomach pain. I think I'll just stick to try walking more. I did file a medwatch fda complaint a out the skin reaction and slight stomach pain.
In order to win against the doctor, you'd have to prove malpractice. If you met the criteria of someone who might benefit from the drug and didn't have any medical conditions that would preclude you from taking it then its extremely unlikely the doctor committed malpractice. Medicine is not an exact science. Every person's body is different and can have different reactions to treatment. It is not uncommon to have to try two or more different drugs to find the one that best works for a particular patient. That's just the way medical science is.

I'm glad you no longer have the side effects and the decision to exercise more is rarely a bad choice. And if you can meet your needs through diet and exercise rather than drugs, that's always preferable to having to use drugs to achieve the goal precisely because drugs can have side effects. Note too that medical science is coming around to the realization that being overweight does not always mean the patient is unhealthy. That's because, again, every body is different and weight affects each person differently. A few extra pounds is generally not a big deal. If you are morbidly obese, that's a huge deal, but few people fall into that category. Most adult Americans seem to fall somewhere between. So talk with your doctor about your overall health. If all your body systems like blood pressure, cholesterol levels, heart rate, etc are within the normal range then there may not be a real medical need to lose the weight. In that situation, you can choose to lose weight to feel better about your body image, but at least you know you aren't unhealthy as you are.

PayrollHRGuy

If you are morbidly obese, that's a huge deal, but few people fall into that category.
Approximately 11.5% of women and people assigned female at birth have class III obesity compared to 6.9% of men and people assigned male at birth.

That's over 19 million women and over 11 million men.

That's more than a few people. It's about 10% of the population.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/21989-class-iii-obesity-formerly-known-as-morbid-obesity#:~:text=Sex: Approximately 11.5% of women,adults aged 60 and over.

quincy

Ozempic is designed specifically for use by adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus, as an adjunct to diet and exercise. The drug reportedly has been in short supply because those without diabetes are using it for weight loss.

As a note on the symptoms mentioned by hatewinter: Although stomach pain is not an unusual or a necessarily serious reaction to Ozempic, a skin rash could be the sign of an allergic reaction to the ingredients. If a user of Ozempic experiences itching, or a rash, or difficulty breathing, the drug should be stopped immediately and the user should seek medical attention.

hatewinter apparently has had no serious long term effects from taking Ozempic but s/he definitely should inform the doctor of the rash.

Grizzle

My brother in law is a pharmacist and he's said that it causes a lot of problems for people too. Definitely something I'd steer clear of based on what he's said.

Just Blue

My brother in law is a pharmacist and he's said that it causes a lot of problems for people too. Definitely something I'd steer clear of based on what he's said.
Please don't post to dead threads. This thread is 6 months old and the OP is long gone.

Again, please check the date on a thread before posting. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">