• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

P.O.A. question regarding my dying elderly parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlakJacksinn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My mother has 6 months to live. I'm her p.o.a. and want her to die at home but my sister want's her to die in a nursing home and is trying to get the department on aging involved to try and stop me from taking her home. My mother was living with me for the last two years before becoming ill. My sister is just bitter because I caught her stealing from my mother when she was her p.o.a. and has a hard time being around me because of shame and guilt. My mother would never want to die in a nursing home. My question is do I have the final say so as to where my mother goes?

Please help. Time sensitive.

ecmst12

Does your POA cover medical decisions or only financial? If it is a medical POA, then you get to make the decision. If not, then you and your siblings are equal and will have to get a court involved if you can't agree. What does your mother want? Can you afford the help that you will need to care for her at home?

BlakJacksinn

Yes it does cover medical and yes her insurance covers home hospice 100% and my mother wants to come home where she'll be comfortable and around family all day and night.

Thanks. That's what I thought. We discussed this and that's why people assign p.o.a's. How else will there wishes be met.

tranquility

If mother's competent, she decides. If she gave you an irrevocable medical POA, you decide, unless she is incompetent. If incompetent, if a durable medical POA, you decide.

BlakJacksinn

Ya it's all settled. My sister had a change of heart. When she left work she had a life changing experience. When she left work some big amazon woman covered in tattoos rolled up on her on a Harley in the parking garage & said something about something & showed her something & said "you don't wanna see me again". I thought that was kinda weird. I don't know? Oh well.

I really thank everybody for the advice & input. This site NEVER fails.

OHRoadwarrior

Somewhat reminiscent of my fathers secret cremation and burial. His ashes were in the ground for 4 months before my sister found out he was not sitting in the freezer at the coroners office.

Antigone*

Ya it's all settled. My sister had a change of heart. When she left work she had a life changing experience. When she left work some big amazon woman covered in tattoos rolled up on her on a Harley in the parking garage & said something about something & showed her something & said "you don't wanna see me again". I thought that was kinda weird. I don't know? Oh well.

I really thank everybody for the advice & input. This site NEVER fails.

Blak, my heart goes out to you. Not sure if you believe in the Man upstairs, but it looks to me like a divine intervention of the best kind;)

His grace is sufficient.

~tigi <3

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">