• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA 46MPH in 25MPH using Acutrak

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ace88

The 1/3 mile bit and the use of a speedometer is there for when they match speed with you and use their speedometer to get your speed.
Thanks Payroll HRGuy....

If this stopwatch is measuring time, with the chance of human error, how are these measuring distance?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks Payroll HRGuy....

If this stopwatch is measuring time, with the chance of human error, how are these measuring distance?
There will be two points that are a known distance apart that the officer uses. Often, these are painted lines on the shoulder of the road. When you get to the first point, s/he starts the clock, and when you reach the second, s/he stops the clock.

Zigner

I'd trust your advice more if you weren't so darn arrogant about it. Anyway, appreciate the responses. I will seek out some others though just to make sure you are trustworthy.
My tone is designed to drive home my point, since you seem intent on arguing.

ace88

There will be two points that are a known distance apart that the officer uses. Often, these are painted lines on the shoulder of the road. When you get to the first point, s/he starts the clock, and when you reach the second, s/he stops the clock.
So basically, if he stops the stopwatch too fast we can get a decent amount of error regarding MPH.

Zigner

So basically, if he stops the stopwatch too fast we can get a decent amount of error regarding MPH.
Yes, but again, the officer is trained and unbiased. Your statements about your speed are definitely biased. Furthermore, you have already admitted that you really don't know how fast you were going.

So, here it is: We have the unbiased testimony of an officer who has been trained in, and who is well practiced in, timing vehicles using Accutrak vs. the accused driver who doesn't know how fast s/he was going and who has every reason to lie (not that you would) in order to avoid the recriminations of being found guilty of speeding.

ace88

Yes, but again, the officer is trained and unbiased. Your statements about your speed are definitely biased. Furthermore, you have already admitted that you really don't know how fast you were going.

So, here it is: We have the unbiased testimony of an officer who has been trained in, and who is well practiced in, timing vehicles using Accutrak vs. the accused driver who doesn't know how fast s/he was going and who has every reason to lie (not that you would) in order to avoid the recriminations of being found guilty of speeding.
I know I wasn't going 46. No, most drivers don't stare at the speedometer every moment they drive. Cops may be unbiased but sometimes they need tickets at the end of the month to create revenue to meet their quota. Non-biased doesn't mean they don't make errors.

I'll probably just plead non-guilty, show up, and hope the cop reduces my 4 points or $200 fine. Not sure I will challenge it if he doesn't.

Last edited:

Zigner

Cops may be unbiased but sometimes they need tickets at the end of the month to create revenue to meet their quota.
That's a stereotype - do you have any evidence that it occurs in the officer's department?

FlyingRon

Acutrack is just a stopwatch. The thing on the dash of the police car is a speedometer. It's an electronic device under part (c) of the statute you are reading.

The cop can't reduce anything. The magistrate MIGHT have a soft heart, but I've certainly seem some real hardasses up in PA.
You can invent all the ulterior motives you want, but absent any direct proof, the officer is going to assumed to be a truthful expert witness.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I know I wasn't going 46.
Just like everyone I have ever stopped for disobeying a stop sign knew for sure that they did, in fact, stop.

It's an old refrain that cops and judges hear on a daily basis. It won't get you very far.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">