• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pa Code T.19 Sc.17.5/Seperation of church and state.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SecretWizardSoc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania.

How would I go about getting the process started of a Pennsylvania code being considering for amendment? Under code Title 19, Subchapter 17.5 (Blasphemy or profanity.)

It states:

An association name may not contain words that constitute blasphemy, profane cursing or swearing or that profane the Lord’s name.

Source

The provisions of this § 17.5 adopted June 22, 1973, effective June 23, 1973, 3 Pa.B. 1164; amended April 17, 1992, effective April 18, 1992, 22 Pa.B. 1993. Immediately preceding text appears at serial page (87015).

The sections and title involving blasphemy are impeding the registration of a fictitious name, and to my knowledge this is in violation of seperation of church and state, or maybe somehting else. But to my knowledge it is not "right."

I would like to know the steps needed to get the process started of removing the clauses involving religion.

Also, I do not want anyone to think I am registering a name that profanes anyones god. It has just impeded my registration due to one secretaries' knowledge of the law, and cost me a 70$ fee due to denied application.

Thanks in advance.(2nd Edit: Also I did try searching for the procedures, but it was hard enough finding the code to begin with even with having the title and sub chapter.)

Last edited:

FlyingRon

To "remove" them, you go find a legislator there and have him draft a bill and try to get it voted on.

To have it "invalidated" after you're denied what you believe is your right under the constitution, you take it to court. Of course that decision only affects you until it gets up to the appellate level.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">