• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA - Contractor, Late Payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hello. I am an independent contractor in PA, with two issues:

1. I am not being paid on time, and I have a significant amount of money owed outstanding. I have reason to believe the company I am in an agreement with has cash issues. The amount of money owed to me is increasing daily.

2. I have a non-compete with this company, for a period of one year from the last date of contact.

In the agreement I signed, the termination clause states, "Service Provider (me) may terminate this agreement sooner in the event of the Company's breach or its failure to adequately and/or sufficiently perform its duties hereunder."

The agreement also sets the terms of payment that they are not keeping. Does the late payment (consistently, for 4 for months now) count as a failure to adequately and sufficiently perform its duties?

On top of that, it says I need to give them two weeks notice for termination in the event of my inability to complete this assignment. If I terminate due to their inadequate performance, am I obligated to give them this notice?

If this is the wrong forum for this question, let me know. Thank you in advance for your time.

HRZ

AS an aside...a good number of so called independent contractors are misclassified and are employees . Tell us a bit about what you are doing , how you are paid ..by project or what ...how much control you have. As to where what gets done ...no names

I am very much an independent contractor. I work on whatever schedule I want, on my own equipment, with very little instruction. I am working on a specific project, with an end-date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">