• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA inheritance tax family exemption?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I I have heard different things about this and I'm not sure which is correct. 2 adults with their own incomes and on bank accounts lived with their mom. Mom passed away and only the inheritance tax is owed. They will both remain living in the house that their mom left them. Can people tell me which one of these is correct?
The PA family exemption is for any adult who lived in the same household and are eligible floor it just because I lived in the same house??? Or is is
The family exemption is for people that have had to depend on the mother's bank account or money until the person files with the Register of Wills and can take care of the bills themselves? These 2 adults had their own money and paid their bills themselves, so I don't think they would be eligible for this exemption just because they lived with their mom, or am I wrong about this? It is extremely important that this is done correctly. We do not want to file for this exemption if we are not eligible for it. Been to a lawyer and I am still unclear on this. I have very very little time on this and would appreciate very much any answers that anyone may have. Read up on it and it is just not clear on this. ???

FlyingRon

The word in the code is "household." This isn't a strict definition in the probate title as to definition of household, but "living in the same house" isn't sufficient but neither is having their own job. The $3500 is to maintain the household while probate plays out. However, the will may override this if it makes a specific bequest on whatever asset they are going to try to exempt.

The word in the code is "household." This isn't a strict definition in the probate title as to definition of household, but "living in the same house" isn't sufficient but neither is having their own job. The $3500 is to maintain the household while probate plays out. However, the will may override this if it makes a specific bequest on whatever asset they are going to try to exempt.
[/QU

Thank you Ron!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">