• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA speeding ticket: Should I fight?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
People are here for ideas and your far fetched notion of defending the officers at all cost is pointless. You know all mirrors distort images. Are you saying that's not factual when it's imprinted right on your side mirror?

Really now. As far as for points, the state will reduce or remove points after a few years but they'll stay on the insruance company's for a lot longer.
You joined the forum this morning at 0900. I suggest you read more and post less.

Insurance companies could not give a rat's rear end about points. They see the violations as they happen and to my knowledge, there is no reason they should forget about them when the state removes points. And the police or traffic court of a state could not care less about what an insurance company does with a person's rates when they give a ticket.

Sure mirrors distort. They reverse everything if nothing else. This doesn't change the fact that if a car is in the same place in a mirror and not getting smaller or larger the officer driving the car can tell that they have matched the speed of the target car.

My post wasn't to defend an officer. It was to defend readers from your incorrect statements.
So I'm suppose to believe a cop is going to stare at the sized of an image to confirm it isn't slowing down or speeding up while driving? Also, you haven't even debunked any of my "incorrect" statements.

To the OP, you have options. The cop didn't drop down the speed because he was feeling nice that day. That was to play it safe. if you feel that you were wronged and might have a case fight it. I'm sending you positive energy your way.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
People are here for ideas and your far fetched notion of defending the officers at all cost is pointless. You know all mirrors distort images. Are you saying that's not factual when it's imprinted right on your side mirror?

Really now. As far as for points, the state will reduce or remove points after a few years but they'll stay on the insruance company's for a lot longer.
Right. But if the image in your mirror stays the SAME size over a period of time, that means that you are maintaining the same distance apart, and hence the same speed.

If the image gets BIGGER, that means that the distance between you and the other vehicle is decreasing - they are going faster.

And I ain't no physicist, but the last time I was rear ended at a stop light, I was able to correctly guess several seconds before impact, based on what I saw in a rear view mirror while at a stop light, that the van barreling towards me was not slowing down and would hit me.

So I'm suppose to believe a cop is going to stare at the sized of an image to confirm it isn't slowing down or speeding up while driving? Also, you haven't even debunked any of my "incorrect" statements.

To the OP, you have options. The cop didn't drop down the speed because he was feeling nice that day. That was to play it safe. if you feel that you were wronged and might have a case fight it. I'm sending you positive energy your way.
Yes. You are expected to believe that. Don't you know, looking in your rearview mirror, what's going on behind you? If not, how did you pass driver's ed?

PayrollHRGuy

Yep, they are trained how to do it, though it isn't rocket science.

According to DMV.org.

Although Pennsylvania drivers can enroll in defensive driving courses to sharpen their skills (and in some cases, are court-ordered to do so), these courses aren't options for reducing driving record points.

The only way you can reduce points in this state are to:

• Pass a PennDOT-ordered written or on-road exam because you've accumulated 6 or more points (this removes 2 points).
  • Stay violation-free for 12 consecutive months (this removes 3 points).

According to https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/how-do-mirrors-work

Today, mirrors are usually made of clear glass that has been coated on one side with a thin film of metal, such as silver or aluminum. The mirrors in most bathrooms are these types of mirrors, known as plane mirrors. They are flat and reflect the objects in front of them accurately, maintaining the same relative size and position of the objects reflected.

Consider yourself debunked.

FlyingRon

The cop isn't playing anything safe, nor does he have any incentive to. He wrote the actual measured speed. Even if the defense showed an error, the court will still find guilty if the speed in favor of the defendant is greater than the limit. Contrary to all the ill-motives you give the cops, they do cut people breaks. There is no reason to under charge this other than to give the guy an out on points. The various agencies involved get the same surcharges whether he had been charged for 28 over or 5 over (and most of those surcharges are state mandated things rather than going to the "department" the officer works for... some of it gets sent to EMS and some gets put in a vicitms of crime compensation fund... it's amazing all the details on a PA citation).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's his word against yours.
To put that another way...
The OP's only evidence is his own self-serving and biased testimony, while the evidence against the OP comes from an officer who is trained and has no bias or personal interest in the case. I wonder which evidence is more compelling...

Zigner

You know all mirrors distort images.
Ok, let's go with your assumption that every mirror distorts images...
If the distorted image remains the same size, one can assume that it is not getting any closer or any farther. So it really doesn't matter if the image is distorted in this situation.

PayrollHRGuy

If the distorted image remains the same size, one can assume that it is not getting any closer or any farther. So it really doesn't matter if the image is distorted in this situation.
I told him that MANY posts back. He is too busy cheerleading for ticketed drivers to think it out and even when he did he thought that a person, much less a cop, couldn't both drive and make such a judgment.

Last edited:

Zigner

I told him that MANY posts back. He is too busy cheerleading for ticketed drivers to think it out and even when he did he thought that a person, much less a cop, could both drive and make such a judgment.
I figured it that somebody must have said it ;)

FlyingRon

Given the measured time and distance and a device was listed and it wasn't the state police, it's almost certainly another of the glorified stop watches. As I stated in my first post, all the officer needs to be able to do is see the car pass the landmarks he was using. Distorted mirrors or dirty windows, crud covered screens, all the trees with all their leaves on them, and seven bushes in the way doesn't matter as long as he can see the car pass the marks.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I told him that MANY posts back. He is too busy cheerleading for ticketed drivers to think it out and even when he did he thought that a person, much less a cop, couldn't both drive and make such a judgment.
As did I, although not quite as many posts back.

And I was perhaps less polite.

p, they are trained how to do it, though it isn't rocket science.
Which was already stated. You literally wrote what I did previous. I'm not sure if you're thinking you're here to save the day with your knowledge but cant say it was helpful. If this cop is measuring a speeding a car from his rear view mirror while speeding himself dont you think there's something suspicious with that? Probably not since hes a cop and after all, his training makes him supernaturally powerful. I hate to tell you but people on tv are not actually that size.

As did I, although not quite as many posts back.

And I was perhaps less polite.
You sure did.
Also, it's not cheerleading. Its helping the other side. Anyone can say you broke the law and serve your time but the people who look at the details and give people a little hope that's where it counts. All situations are cut a dry. Put one of your loved ones in their shoes; you'll cling onto every detail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">