• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paid commission via net check wrong amt -pd them back gross what happens to the taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CBHugs

What is the name of your state? PA I have worked at this company for 5 months.
I was issued a commission check and it turns out it was supposed to be for another agent. I had no reason to question it. Now I was confronted by HR Director and told that
"several people in the front office feel that you are stealing because you didn't question why you rec'd this check." I was told that this was very serious and I could lose my job. I stated that I didn't realize that it wasn't mine and gave the reasons why. I then discovered that I wouldn't have been issued a comm check for a given month as the agency comms for my month's sales were under a certain amount. So I agreed that under those circumstances I shouldn't have been issued the check and I would give the money back. I also stated that the money was in my checking account.
I then offered to immediately write out a check. I was told to write it for the gross amount which I did, but I asked why that amount and not the net. Basically I was told to just write it out as that was the correct amount. I had also questioned what responsibility the person had who issued the check in error. There was no reply from the HR person. The check has already cleared my account. It is less than 3 days since I wrote it out. I can't ask about the $164.10 in taxes that I have now paid on money that I returned as the person I would have to ask is the HR person. I am afraid to contact payroll as they will report it back to HR.
What happens with that $164.10? Am I entitled to get it back? If so, who reimburses me? Do I have to initiate a reimbursement claim and, if so, with whom?
I was upset with the statement about several people feeling that I was stealing. Isn't
this payroll information personal? How could several people know? Is that legal? No
names were mentioned. Am I entitled to know who these people are?
I like my job and don't want to lose it. Is this person allowed to verbally attack me this
way? :confused:
Thanks for your input. I just am so shocked and still don't want to believe this all happened. What is the name of your state? PA

ecmst12

You should probably post this in the tax forum...I would think that you should be able to claim something when you do your taxes to get this money back since you shouldn't have paid it but I don't know how you would go about that. I don't think that the company should have made you pay them back the gross amount, but then again I understand why they did - because THEY don't have the money that was applied to your taxes, the government does - so you should get it back from them when you file next year.

moburkes

I agree. If nothing is returned back to you, then it'll eventually come out when you pay your taxes. You do need to follow up to make sure that the taxes WERE credited to you (I'm not sure why they wouldn't have been, but someone to check on). Therefore, you may end up having overpaid your taxes by $x.xx, based on your tax bracket.

pattytx

Sorry this response is late. I've been busy doing my regular job. :eek:

OP, did the overpayment occur this calendar year? Makes a difference.

CBHugs

this year

Yes it occurred this calendar and fiscal year- end of Sept-
thanks everyone for your responses -;)

pattytx

Then you should have repaid only the net pay. Your employer's payroll person doesn't know her/his job. :mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">