• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paid deposit, and they say they changed their mind

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

youngidealist

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Early today I was planning to move into a four bedroom house with 3 roommates. I signed the application and sent in a lot of information. I think I even signed and sent the transfer of the lease agreement in to the landlord. They told me that the idea was for me to give my deposit to the tenant who was leaving and her deposit on record would become mine. I gave the old tenant the deposit and was going to move in today and bring the first month's rent but I was then told that the roommates had chosen someone else and that the old roommate had known about this a week ago. Now the old tenant has taken my deposit check which she cashed, and I don't have a place to stay. The current roommates have all claimed that she scammed me and that she offered me the place under false pretenses. What do I need to do to file suits/charges and get my money back?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Early today I was planning to move into a four bedroom house with 3 roommates. I signed the application and sent in a lot of information. I think I even signed and sent the transfer of the lease agreement in to the landlord. They told me that the idea was for me to give my deposit to the tenant who was leaving and her deposit on record would become mine. I gave the old tenant the deposit and was going to move in today and bring the first month's rent but I was then told that the roommates had chosen someone else and that the old roommate had known about this a week ago. Now the old tenant has taken my deposit check which she cashed, and I don't have a place to stay. The current roommates have all claimed that she scammed me and that she offered me the place under false pretenses. What do I need to do to file suits/charges and get my money back?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Sue the bad person in Small Claims court. (At least you know where she lives.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">