• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid for LI, but co says no policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

85bears

Maryland
I enrolled during the first 30 days of employment for the life insurance policy provided by my work, without needing a medical exam. The company that handles my company benefits has been deducting premiums from my account since December 1.

I called a few days ago asking about increasing the amount. The benefit company forwarded me to the life insurance company. They told me they had no record of a policy in my name.

Apparently the life insurnace policy is claiming they never rec'd the application, even though my company says they sent it. The problem is that there is no tracable way to prove this.

I'm being told I'm just SOL, and I would now have to reapply, but could now be turned down, or have higher rates. I have medical problems, so I'm pretty sure I would be turned down.

Does anyone know of any path I can take here? If I had never contacted the life insurance company, I would have assumed I was covered, since it is being taken out of my paycheck. I just can't believe I just have to take this. HELP!What is the name of your state?

Betty

Ok, you enrolled for group life ins. with/through your employer w/o a medical exam. They are deducting premiums from your pay check. Usually the employer retains the master policy & the employees receive a certificate of insurance. Did you not receive this? (It seems not) When you called the ins. co., did you let them know this was group ins. (& not an individual policy) & did you give them the name of your employer?

85bears

More Info

Yes, I provided the company with all of that info.

It really seems like the company I work for dropped the ball and didn't forward the paperwork to the benefit company. With my medical conditions, I know I won't be accepted.

I'm at my wits end here.

Betty

Did you try asking your HR Dept. for help - it seems someone should help you pursue this since prems. are being ded. from your check. Are they saying there is nothing they can do?

moburkes

I agree that HP is the next step. Also, OP, be aware that you cannot arbitrarily increase your life insurance. You can change it at open enrollment, but most companies limit the amount of coverage that you can have. If it was your OWN policy that you purchased, then there are certain ways that you can increase it, but this generally isn't available on a group policy.

85bears

Contacted HR

I've been going through my manager, who suposidly is going through HR. I talked with him late on Friday and told him that he needs to go higher up in HR and get someone involved. I'll give him a day or two, and then see if I can contact someone directly.

BTW, this is open enrollment time for my company - so when I called about increasing it, it was because the company increased the amount you could get.

Thanks for the help.

moburkes

I've been going through my manager, who suposidly is going through HR. I talked with him late on Friday and told him that he needs to go higher up in HR and get someone involved. I'll give him a day or two, and then see if I can contact someone directly.

BTW, this is open enrollment time for my company - so when I called about increasing it, it was because the company increased the amount you could get.

Thanks for the help.
Okay. BUT, you still increase the policy in writing, on the forms that HR provides, not by calling the company. Your "rights" are preserved when its in writing. Phone calls don't help you.

Dandy Don

If you don't get satisfaction, try filing a complaint with your State Insurance Commissioner so he can investigate. Either the insurance company or your employer is at fault here and someone needs to be held accountable so that other employees will not continue to be taken advantage of just for easy profit.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">