• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid holidays? For real?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NellieBly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I work part time for a municipality. Our boss wants to make paid holidays available to those who have perfect attendance.

Alas, this is not a possibility as I have cancer and have to take time off for treatment.

Is this remotely legal? What about ADA?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I work part time for a municipality. Our boss wants to make paid holidays available to those who have perfect attendance.

Alas, this is not a possibility as I have cancer and have to take time off for treatment.

Is this remotely legal? What about ADA?
Nellie -

Should the responders simply guess and spout off erroneous information? Perhaps you'd prefer that folks actually answer with a reasoned and well-researched answer. Furthermore, if someone is wrong, wouldn't it be nice if they acknowledged it so as to prevent the inaccurate information from being relied upon simply because it "feels good"?

NellieBly

Nellie -

Should the responders simply guess and spout off erroneous information? Perhaps you'd prefer that folks actually answer with a reasoned and well-researched answer. Furthermore, if someone is wrong, wouldn't it be nice if they acknowledged it so as to prevent the inaccurate information from being relied upon simply because it "feels good"?
Thanks for your quick response.

I appreciate it.

Proserpina

Nellie -

Are we mixing up our Nellies?

(There's a phrase I never thought would be uttered)

:confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is not even remotely an ADA issue. Nothing in the ADA requires that you get paid holidays. Nothing in the ADA says you can't lose a privilege - which is what a paid holiday is - that is also lost by non-disabled people who have missed time.

No law in MA, or any other state, requires that you receive paid holidays. Presuming that you are non-exempt, which if I recall correctly you are.

Yes, this policy is legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">