• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid off debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am from Texas, I am trying to clean up my credit and I am now paying off some recent debt. I owed a company $248 and called to only find out that it has been turned over to collections.

The company transferred me to the collections and I paid settled and paid $230 plus $8 service charge fee...I had asked the person up front if they would fax me a letter of deletion. He assured me that he would fax me this and also assured me that they would mail a copy to the credit bureaus within 3 days. That was Thursday, January 29th.

I used my debit card to pay off the balance and it was taken from my account while we were still on the phone. I have yet to receive this letter of deletion. I have called the company on serveral occasions and it has since escalated to talking to a supervisor.

Now they are saying that they do not have to send a copy of deletion to me and even if they do, they have to wait 90 days for the payment to clear my bank.

The supervisor said since I didn't pay the full amount, they didn't have to send the letter of deletion and can hold me accountable for the rest of the debt.

Is this legal?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

Indiana Filer

The company transferred me to the collections and I paid settled and paid $230 plus $8 service charge fee...I had asked the person up front if they would fax me a letter of deletion. He assured me that he would fax me this and also assured me that they would mail a copy to the credit bureaus within 3 days. That was Thursday, January 29th.
Did you have that promise in writing prior to paying the negotiated settlement?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">