• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid Online Tournament Website (Video Games)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmoored94

I have a question.
I am a competitive video game player and I play on websites like umggaming/gamebattles, however obtaining cash prizes is illegal in Maryland due to strict gambling laws. However, my questions pertains to the site itself. Being a resident in maryland, would I be able to create and operate my own tournament/wage website for video games where users (outside of maryland) could compete for cash prizes? Basically, I want to create my own website that I feel would be better and in which I would not compete because I would be the owner

jmoored94

What US state do you intend to operate such a site legally?
I know its legal in some states because Gamebattles is based in NYC and UMG is in another state. I'm not sure it falls under the gambling laws because its not necessarily luck based. Teams enter paid-to-enter tournaments and compete or they can set up a 1on1 wager match where they put up an amount they wish to wage. I am in Maryland, but we are prohibited to play for cash prizes, but I didn't see where the law said I couldn't operate my own site, unless someone knows otherwise

UMG has it's business address in Illinois.
https://umggaming.com/terms
Can you not just have your IP provider be out of Illinois and also register your company and open a business bank account in that State?
Your site and company would be registered in a State that allows online gaming, but I don't think you would be required to actually live in that State.
Could be wrong though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">