• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid Sick Time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rosep

Missouri.
55 employee company has paid sick time policy that allows:
30 days paid to mothers of new born
30 days paid to mothers for adopting
30 days paid to fathers for adopting
but only 5 days paid to fathers of new born

is this legal to only pay 5 days to fathers of new born while fathers of adopting and mothers of new borns get 30 days paid?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since the father is not the one who is giving birth and in need of medical care, yes it is.

rosep

illogical vs illegal

So...it's just illogical, not illegal - since there is no medical care involved in adopting, yet adopting fathers get 30 days paid?

Beth3

Adopting a child can involve considerable time away from work for a variety of things - in some cases travel to another country, multiple home visits from social workers, visits to adoption agencies, court appearances, and so on. I don't see anything illogical about the employer's policy. This is extremely generous benefit, especially for an employer of that size.

When dads start giving birth and need time to recuperate, I expect this employer will be happy to extend the same 30 days of paid time off benefit to the fathers.

rosep

I recognize the generocity of the adoption policy, but it seems unbalanced to offer so much less to traditional fathers. It's sad that the role of the father is so undervalued. My wife is home trying to nurse a newborn every 3 hours and take care of our other children - 5, 4 and 2 years old. I don't need time to recuperate. She does. And though I'm not traveling the globe, and entertaining social workers with my paid sick time, I do provide a valid service to my family by being home longer than 5 days. :)

Beth3

I can certainly understand that. :) But the fact remains that your employer's policy is not unlawful and that they don't have to offer any paid leave at all. You may want to consider using some vacation time if you wish to be home helping your wife.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">